22 May 2009

ABOUT OBSESSIVE COMPULSION


For these type of person the common feature is that control is highly valued over communication. Conscientiousness, tidiness, meanness, pedantry, rationality combined with cluelessness about human emotions. These can be the symptoms of an obsessional character. People who suffer with this pathology often self mutilate in a ritualistic unintentional manner and are also often phobic, and worry about cleanliness. Compulsive behavior is repetitive, sterotyped, ritualistic and supersticious.
Psychoanalytic technique usually is effective in treating these patients, however, it takes quite a while.
Sometimes patients keep attacking their analyst in search of something bad, they are sure that the analyst must have.

3 comments:

  1. In my experience obsessive and compulsive traits can make life a hell for people who suffer with them. It's important for the psychotherapist/analyst to keep a distance from projective identifications, ie, the "bad" things the patient feels are inside him(her)self.
    I think it was a good idea to refer in this blog also to particular symptoms and complaints and the psychic dynamics behind them. Let' see what our readers think of this more specific post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. In fact, many obsessive clients often terminate therapy very early on. After a few short sessions they become fearful of uncovering and confronting the 'bad' they feel resides within. Its quite a shame that this is so often times the case with these particular clients, leaving themselves alone in their anxiety and despair seeing as how there is a very positive chance for recovery and relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone. This topic in particular is very interesting. I was in treatment for many years. I suffered with a lot of obsessive traits and it took me a long time to overcome and to be able to break with those patterns. It was very hard but it was the best thing I ever did for myself because I can breathe now. Looking back, I was suffocating for a long time. I have to admit though, I did want to run the other way in the beginning. I was flooded with many doubts, but again, it was the best thing I ever did for myself. Therapy is a gift and I am so appreciative that I had such a wonderful life altering expeience.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete

archives

Our favourite blogs: psychology, new technologies, politics, economics, literature, poetry, photos,